Saturday, March 5, 2011

Been a Long Time...

Well, no excuses here... I totally failed on blogging so far in 2011. Good thing that wasn't my resolution or anything! :)


Another friend has started a blog too so I am going to try and get inspired to get back into it. So to all of my 5 followers out there.. I'm baaaack!


I've got a few nice recipes I've been working on over the past few months, so there's definately some new grub to show you! Also I have some exciting news. My good friend Melanie is tying the knot this summer (congrats Melanie and Dirk). Though I am super excited for them both, the news is that I've stepped up to the plate to create the dessert for their "party".

Sidenote - Melanie is a little wedding phobic, shall we say. Mel if you're out there no offense, but you know it's true! So all wedding reception events activities will be refferred to as "party" activities.


Anyway back to the point - I'm going to make the cupcakes for Melanie and Dirk's party! Thankfully it's (supposed) to be about 50 people, which I think I can handle. I've already been brainstorming flavors and thinking about icing and cupcake liners and all sorts of other decorations.


So, in honor of this exciting challenge for me, here are some Banana Caramel Cupcakes:












Cupcakes (24)
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
12 tbsp/1 & 1/2 sticks butter
2 1/2 cups sugar
6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups mashed banana


Caramel Topping
8 tbsp/1 stick butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup light brown sugar


Frosting
3 egg whites - let come to room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
16 tbsp/2 sticks butter - at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract












First heat your oven to 350 degrees and prep your cupcake pans.
Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.












Prep your mashed bananas (and feel free to eat some too!)












Now beat together the butter and sugar for a few minutes with your mixer. Add in your eggs. Be sure your batter is mixed well and add in the banana and milk. Mix until just incorporated. Start mixing in your dry ingredients at low speed - a little at a time. Be sure not to over beat your batter!












Now fill your cupcake liners!







And bake for 20-25 mins. You'll want to keep an eye on yours in the last few minutes. I find that gas stovetops cook well, but gas ovens... not so much!





While those are baking, let's make the caramel topping. Put the butter, cream and brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil - stirring. Once boiling reduce heat and cook for about 10 minutes - or until the sauce coats the back of a spoon easily.












Once your cupcakes are done, remove from the pan and let cool.













Now it's frosting time! This will be a little tricky (at least it was for me) - but you can do it. Put your egg whites and the sugar in a heatproof bowl. Now place this bowl over a saucepan with water. Bring the water in the saucepan to a boil. At this point you want to keep whisking the egg whites to completely incorporate the sugar. You don't want to cook the eggs completely - just get them hot enough + dissolve the sugar. Once the sugar is dissolved - use a mixer to beat the eggs on high until you get nice stiff peaks. Reduce the speed and combine the butter - a little at a time, and then the vanilla and a few spoonfulls of your caramel sauce until everything is smooth and creamy.













Now it's time to put everything together! Frost your cupcakes however you prefer. I used a few different frosting tips - just playing around. Then drizzle your caramel sauce over the top of the frosted cupcakes. Divine! Leftover sauce? Use for another dessert, pancakes... or just eat plain :)














Recipe adapted from Annie at Annie's Eats.

No comments:

Post a Comment